Friday, July 25, 2008

Tigger VS. Eeyore

WARNING SAPPY BLOG AHEAD:
The professor who gave the "Last Lecture" died this week. This guy was amazing. He had such a positive attitude even after finding out he was dying.
In his lecture he said you can choose to be a "Tigger" or an "Eeyore". For some reason that stuck with me. I have always liked Eeyore and as you well know I am often very much an Eeyore.
With all of the recent changes in my life I have been doing some self examination. I have been thinking of ways I would like to change. One of the thing I would like to change is I want to scale down my Eeyore quotient. I am never going to be a Tigger. In fact I have always hated Tigger. I think I am aiming at being more like Piglet. Piglet was always so helpful to everyone. I have decided I need to be more like that and I need to start living life to the fullest. I need to take every opportunity I have to be with my family and friends.
I have had a lot of time on my hands lately so I decided to check up on an old friend. My friend Nan was amazing. I met her while working at the Sundance Film Festival. She was a kick. She was this fabulous broadway broad. She seemed like she should have been born in the 1920's. I could totally see her as a flapper chick singing jazz in some club. Nan taught me about being fabulous or as she called it Fabu. Well when I moved into this house Nan called me with some bad news. Her breast cancer was back and her doctors told her she didn't have long. She wanted to come over for a sleep over. When she told me the news my brain didn't really process it. I kind of just skipped over it. We made plans for a sleep over but she got sick. And then we decided to post pone. I told her that we had just ordered some furniture and it would be best if we waited for it to come. We made other plans and she told me that she didn't know how long she had. She kept warning me that she wasn't going to be around much longer. She told me that she was planning to move back East to be with her family. I of course focused on her moving part and not the dying part. I didn't talk to Nan again. I've always liked to pretend that she had moved and that I had just lost contact with her. Well recently I decided I needed to know. I did a search and found her obiturary. I feel like the biggest loser. I couldn't handle finding out her cancer was back so I didn't. I think it was because of my mother's battle with breast cancer. I think the whole thing was just too much for me so I dwelled on the fact that my house wasn't up to par for guests. RETARDED! I have decided that I will NEVER let this happen again. I will never ignore a friends again. Who gives a crap what your house looks like. As long as you are surrounded by your loved ones nothing else matters.
I guess seeing the news about the Last Lecture is what started this rant. I just wanted to put my pledge to live a better life out there so that I know I have to live up to it. So that one day when I am doing my Last Blog I can do it with a smile like Professor Randy Pausch.

1 comment:

jamiea said...

That's sad that that professor died. I really want to read his book. I also love your whole Eeyore/Tigger anaology. Sadly, I can be an Eeyore a lot of the times. Most of the time I feel like Mrs. Kanga with a litter of Roo's running around. Only a couple more hours 'til the book comes out! Yeah!